Crawl can be simply compared to reading, the moment you read something again and again there will be very high chances of you remembering it and can also confidently speak it across, so is the case with search engines.
- Internal linking - crawl rate goes up
- Publishing content regularly - crawl frequency goes up
- Tv, radio ads(branding activities)- crawl frequency
- Improving the load times- crawl rate goes up
- Building Backlinks- crawl Frequency goes up and in complete control based on the decisions made to build the links to the URLs/content on a website.
Note: Crawl rate is an event during the bot visit to the website and hence crawl rate doesn’t come into the picture when there is no bot visiting website. The frequency of bot visiting the website is referred to as crawl frequency and which happens only when Backlinks are built or a lot of fresh content is built.
Content publishing cannot happen frequently and on large scales and also wherever the competition is very high frequency stats of bot visits achieved just with the content is not enough, hence an external effort from a few hundreds/thousands of domains is very much needed based on the competition, crawl rate improving elements status on the website.